I've even seen URL's lengthened by shorteners, UG!
But why should you not use a url shortener?
- If the service goes away, or decides to dump it's old database your link is Dead.
- Because I want to know where you are sending me, there is a lot of information encoded in a url, though most of it is in the domain name.
- Domains creating their own URL shortening service like the US government is great and I'm all for it.
- You are giving away the link cred to the shortener service, and effectively hiding yourself as the source of the link.
- in other words the google juice goes to the service not your blog page etc...
- the refer value that the site you linked to sees in there log will be the shortener service not your blog or wherever you like to post.